Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I feel fertile (ladyparts excluded)

Hello all, this is but a proto-post with a teaser of what is to come. Many of you are aware of my produce-my-own-produce endeavours 2009, an experiment in taste and frugality. I have decided to build on the success of yesteryear: a fun hobby, but also a very gastro-relevant practice what with the growing importance put upon sourcing local/fresh/organic goods. WELL, this year my little urban garden is back in full force with french beans, mesclun mix, swiss chard, strawbs, raspberries, eggplants, bell peppers, chilis, watermelon, cucumber, all manner of herbs, 4 varieties of tomatoes, brussel sprouts and bottle gourds. I've found that heirloom varieties are pretty easy to source what with specialty seed vendors, community markets, and my generous Italian neighbors. Here are a few photos of a first leafy harvest and the good things to come.

One of my strawberry pots with stuff on the go in May. May!!!

Raspberry buds

Mesclun mix of arugula, mustard, endive and mizuna.

Vietnamese corriander which is now happily taking over the box in which it lives

Proof that my lemongrass is actually GROWING, and not just defoliating in the cold.

Chard!!!
By the way, all of these close-ups are not me trying to showcase some kind of photographic artsyness - that would be rather dumb seeing as I can only operate Pete's SLR in the automatic setting. It just so happens that I am sparing my dear readers from an ugly truth: my patio is still scattered with the mess of last year's bottle caps and two quietly decomposing ikea chairs. Once June's BBQtasticity rolls around I'll make a trip to the dump and have some some good, authoritatively panoramic garden photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment